Friday, January 15, 2010

Revolution OS

After watching 'Revolution OS', I have a new appreciation for Linux and open-source programming in general. It had never really occured to me that the issues I had run into using programs done by money-hungry corporations could be resolved by going into the code (had it of been available to me) and editing it to become and to do what I had originally wanted it to do, or even just to specialize my programs and my computer to my own standards of what I want it to be, ultimately making it the perfect pc in my eyes. Also, seeing the time-frame that it took for Linux to gain popularity and advance to become a more useful and stable operating system because of the amount of random people on the internet that were interested in partaking in the program, whether it be for their own sake or to help out what they believed to be a good cause was pretty astounding. It only took four years of 'Bazaar-style' solicitation and exposition to go from very few users, I think it was like 1000-10000, to like 3.5 million users or something along those lines. That is an enormous accomplishment and something that each and every one of those programmers that contributed to the life of the program should be proud of, whether it was their intention or not. I look forward to doing some open-source programming and contributing what I have to contribute to those who will either find it interesting, useful, or dull and boring.

1 comment:

  1. This was my favorite "reading" of last week. But just because you can go into the code and change it, doesn't mean you know how, or have the time to, yet. Although, while you're working on something, four years might feel like forever, but once it's all said and done, it's quite short. Maybe I have some sort of tunnel vision, where I can only see the big picture from far away? ahhh, I don't know I must be rambling. And same with the amount of users Linux has. It might seem like a lot in a short period of time, but I bet half way through, it probably felt like forever :P

    ReplyDelete